Is mortgage refinancing right for me?
Common goals of refinancing your home loan are to help make your monthly mortgage payments more affordable by refinancing to a lower interest rate or switching from an adjustable-rate into a fixed-rate loan.
You may be eligible for traditional refinancing if:
- You're current on your home loan payments
- You have at least 5% equity for most loans, or at least 2.25% if you have a Bank of America FHA mortgage. (Please note that the amount can vary depending upon your circumstances.)
You'll also need to meet other criteria such as credit, loan to value and debt to income ratio requirements. Please ask for details.
If you think you're not eligible for a traditional refinance but have been current on your home loan payments for at least the past six months, you may still qualify for mortgage refinancing through the Home Affordable Refinance Program.
Get more details about the steps of mortgage refinancing.
Now that I'm in the process, what's next?
Call to request a traditional refinance.
Before you call, to save time, gather some financial information that we'll be asking you for. Please have handy the following for everyone listed on your home loan:
- Pay stubs or, if self-employed, quarterly or year-to-date profit/loss statement
- Bank statements for all checking and savings accounts
- Tax return
During the call, we'll discuss your situation, pull a credit report for all applications and tell you about key deadlines.
I’ve submitted my financial information and received my welcome package.
After the call, we'll send you a welcome package containing:
- A copy of your completed loan application
- A Good Faith Estimate document that spells out the settlement costs associated with the loan
- A Truth in Lending Disclosure Statement
We may also provide a one-page Clarity Commitment® summary1 that clearly shows key loan terms, is written in plain language and is designed to help you understand the loan you're applying for.
Important: Once you receive your welcome package, review your completed loan application to make sure that everything is correct. You should also compare the proposed loan terms to your current loan. If the proposed payments aren't an improvement over what you pay now, and you're not refinancing to lock in a fixed rate, refinancing may not be right for you.
If you qualify, we'll call you to let you know that you‘ve received conditional approval. We may ask you to send us additional information if it's needed. To avoid any delays, please provide any additional information we request as soon as possible.
We'll also order a home appraisal to determine your home’s market value.
If you’re experiencing a financial hardship, you may qualify for more affordable payments under the Home Affordable Modification Program.
I’m awaiting final approval.
We'll begin reviewing and verifying your information. We'll need to:
- Review the property appraisal with your credit history and overall financial situation to make a decision whether to approve your loan request.
The review process may take approximately 75 days from your initial call. We'll contact you regularly during this time to update you on your status. You can also check the status of your application online at any time.
Important: Be sure to continue making your normal mortgage payments until you sign the loan documents and your refinance takes effect.
My refinance has been approved.
If your loan is approved, you’ll receive a phone call from us to schedule the closing. This will be a similar process to the one you went through when you purchased your home.
At the closing, you and any co-borrowers will need to:
- Sign a full set of loan documents
- Pay for closing costs, unless some or all of the costs are financed into the loan amount
1Clarity Commitment is a registered trademark of Bank of America, N.A.